Thursday, May 12, 2005

"To be of Use"

There's a poem by Marge Piercy by this name, in which she writes:

the pitcher cries for water to carry
and a person for work that is real.

I've been thinking about this recently, as I've been hunting for a job. There are so many avenues that I could pursue, and so many motivations that I could follow, but my greatest desire is to do something that is real -- something that makes me feel that "this is what I was created for."I realize, of course, that there are many things that I could be supremely happy at, or gain a feeling of fulfillment, which makes the search a still greater challenge. So, which calling do I choose? What is the right way? Noncommittal me would just send out resumes to the places that wouldn't consider hiring me, so I could say that I was trying without having to give an answer to anyone, but the thing is, that no one can live for a long time like that. Savings only last so long.

What I have to do then, is to bite the bullet, and pursue the offers that are out on the table now. It's by testing them, I guess, that I'll find out if they are where I'll be of best use.

No comments: